This tip will help to check How many websites are being hosted on a Web server base on its IP Address. You need to give IP Address of a certain web server, it will show a list of domains/websites are on the same web server.
There are some reasons to find all neighbors of a website:
- 1. Your website is on a shared hosting environment and it’s running so slow. That is obviously caused by other heavy websites impact the server performance. And you need to know: How many of them and Who they are?
- 2. You’re researching in advance about your competitor. From my experience, there are a lot of online campaigns/websites of popular brands and big websites are hosted on a dedicated server. And you want to check out Which websites are running and How are they relate to your competitor.
- 3. Search engine may ban a particular IP Address if it is mapped to a web server that hosts spam or porn websites. Therefore you need to choose another hosting provider and move your site immediately if it’s hosted along with bad sites.
Steps to check out How many websites are hosted on a Web server
- 1. Look up the IP Address of a domain by opening the Command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and type: ping domain.com. For example: ping unilever.com
An IP Address is contained in the output of ping command is IP Address of unilever.com (188.8.131.52)
- 2. Open Bing.com and type: ip: a-valid-ip-address in the search box. Ex: ip:184.108.40.206.
As you can see, there are a lot of websites (unilever.com.vn, unilevervn.com, unileverme.com, unilever.ca, unilever.com.au, etc) are on the same server (IP Address) with unilever.com website and they have relationship together obviously.
Please don’t be surprised if there are thousand of websites along with you :).